Okaloosa Government



Okaloosa Government FAQ:

Most Okaloosa County residents have convenient local access to conduct business in Fort Walton Beach and Crestview offices. Some departments accept payments for services online. If you do not find your question below or are having difficulty finding answers online, from the home page, check out our online Community Directory which offers additional county-wide links and information. 

1. Who handles animal control? Okaloosa County contracts with the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society for animal control, 243--1525. For wildlife, contact Florida Fish and Wildlife.

2. Who do you call to reserve areas in public parks? Parks Division, 689-5770

Tax Questions:

3.  What is the State sales tax in Okaloosa Co.?  7 percent. Sales tax collections go directly to the State of Florida, a half cent is returned to the county for infrastructure surtax and a half cent is returned to the school disttrict for school capitall outlay surtax.

4.  What is the millage rate for Okaloosa County? 3.8308  (one mill equals $1 for every $1,000 of taxable property value – these are ad valorem taxes.)
Ad Valorem Property Taxes combine with other funds to create the county budget and represents less than 20 percent of the entire budget.  Other funds include:  sales & use taxes, licenses & permit fees, fines & forfeitures, utility taxes, charges for services and grants.  These are sometimes referred to as Enterprise funds. Enterprise funds refer to departments in the county who generate funds/collect fees and are at least partially self-sustaining, such as Water & Sewer, Growth Management, Public Works, Airport, Inspections, Emergency Management Services and the Emerald Coast Conference Center.
5.  What is an MSTU?  MSTU is a Municipal Service Taxing Unit which can only be used to fund parks. The 2007-08 MSTU rate is .2990, and only applies to residents within the unincorporated areas of Okaloosa Co.
6.  What is an MSBU? A Municipal Service Benefit Unit is utilized for specific benefits to/for residential neighborhoods and/or homeowners associations and only applies to those residents benefiting.
7.  What are bed taxes & what is the current bed tax rate? Bed taxes, sometimes called the resort tax, are a surcharge added to all short term accommodations and paid by visitors to the area.   Residents do not pay bed taxes. The TDD is solely funded by the lodging tax paid by visitors staying overnight in short-term rentals in Okaloosa County. The original tourism district collected a 5% Tourist Tax from overnight guests and included the cities of Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Okaloosa Island, Mary Esther and Cinco Bayou. Eligible voters approved in 2021, the County to expand to a county-wide tourism development district. The previously created "sub-district" will collect and remit 6%. The remainder of Okaloosa County (expanded in 2021) "Expansion Area" will collect and remit at the rate of 5%. Short-term overnight rentals include hotels, motels, resort motels, apartments, apartment motels, rooming houses, mobile home parks, recreational vehicle parks, condominiums, condominium hotels, timeshare resorts, residential dwellings or campgrounds for a term of 6 months or less. The Florida Statute 125.104 permits the Board of County Commissioners of Okaloosa County to levy Tourist Development Tax (TDT), and Chapter 20 Article II, Sections 71-78 of the Okaloosa County Ordinances created the Tourist Development Council, established the initial tax rate collection, and identified the special taxing districts with Okaloosa. How these taxes are spent is governed by local county ordinance and the State of Florida.  Funds are mostly used for promotional advertising the area to tourists, beach safety promotion, and beach improvement.
8.  What is Okaloosa County Gas Taxes?  Nine cents is split between the county and nine municipalities.  Okaloosa County receives 1 cent entirely, which can be used for transportation funds only.

9. Where do I go for / to a birth certificate? Okaloosa County Health Dept., 833-9233

Marriage license, passports, traffic citations, declare residency and more? Clerk of Court:

Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex Extension
1940 Lewis Turner Blvd.
Fort Walton Beach, FL  32536
Okaloosa County Courthouse
101 E James Lee Blvd
Crestview, FL 32536
File Homestead Exemptions
Property Appraiser’s Office in 2 locations:
Brackin Building
302 North Wilson St., Suite 201
Crestview, FL  32536
County Admin. Building
1250 Eglin Pkwy., Suite 201
Shalimar, FL 32579
Register to vote? 
Supervisor of Elections
Brackin Building
302 N. Wilson St., Suite 102
Crestview, FL  32536

Okaloosa County Administration Building

1250 N. Eglin Parkway, Ste 103
Shalimar, FL 32579


Tax Collector Office Locations: http://www.okaloosatax.com/